Parting ways with someone you love can be hard, but a divorce is not just complicated and stressful, but also expensive. It is imperative that you select the right lawyer for the case, who is not merely experienced with state laws, but is also keen on taking your case. In Tennessee, seasoned divorce attorneys like Ken Phillips offer all the assistance that clients, regardless of whether the divorce is a contested or collaborative one. So, what does it take to select the right divorce attorney? In this post, we are discussing some of the basic aspects.
Conducting your search
If you know people around who have gone through a divorce, you can ask for references and recommendations. That can be really useful in sorting your options. Or else, just check on Google to find the best-rated divorce attorneys in your city and state. Check the reviews of the law firms and contact at least two or three of them. The initial response does matter, and you need a divorce attorney, who is around to take your questions.
Insist on the first meeting
The first appointment with your lawyer is absolutely important, and if you have the time and scope, insist on a personal meeting, rather than a video call or phone meeting.
During this first meeting, you need to share the facts of your case and ask a bunch of relevant questions, like –
- How long have you been practicing divorce law?
- What kind of additional family law matters do you specialize in?
- Can you handle in-court proceedings?
- Will you fight my case or will engage another divorce attorney from the firm?
- What are my possible options in the case?
- Would you recommend a collaborative divorce?
- What expenses will I have to incur in the case?
- What are your charges and fee, and how am I supposed to pay?
- Can you share a few client references?
- Can you help with matters related to child custody and support?
These are just some of the basic aspects that must be discussed before hiring a divorce attorney. Keep in mind that your attorney will be responsible for representing you and your interests, and it is absolutely necessary to ensure that you both are on the same page. In case you have questions, ask for all the details, and don’t shy away from taking a step ahead in being on the forefront of negotiations with your divorce attorney. Take the first few right steps, and your divorce won’t have to be messy.